Judge Henry Wood, Jr. Home
*National Register of Historic Places
105 6th Street, Clarksville, VA 23927

Private home, not open to the public

The center section of the two story brick Queen Anne home was originally built around 1829 and the front of the home faced south towards Virginia Avenue. The Wood family bought the home in 1872 and added the south wing in the 1880's essentially as you see it today.

Many influential and colorful individuals have made this their home. David Shelton purchased the property in 1830. He was to become proprietor and owner of the famous Buffalo Springs Resort which catered to the gentry of the times. Buffalo Lithia Springs water was shipped all over the world.

In 1833, Robert Andrews purchased the house and 100 acres. Mr. Andrews married Lucy Royster, daughter of Clark Royster for whom the town of Clarksville was named.

In 1862, the house became a safe haven for the family of Major General William Mahone. "Billy" Mahone was one of two generals that Robert E. Lee conferred with at the Appomattox surrender. Many biographies have been written about Mahone, including "Nine Men in Gray" by Charles Dufour. Billy returned to his home in 1865 and the house passed back to Robert Andrews after a chancery cause case. Billy became president of three railroad companies and a U.S. senator after unsuccessful runs for governor of Virginia.

From 1868 to 1872, William Downer and his wife Caroline owned the home. Downer operated the Independent Boat Line, was editor of the Roanoke Valley (a Clarksville paper) and purchased The Mecklenburg Herald (formerly The Tobacco Plant).

The house came into the Wood family in 1872 after being purchased by Dr. Richard Wood of Amelia County. His daughter, Mary J. Wood, married Henry Wood for whom the house is named. There is no known kinship between the two Wood families. Mary J. gave birth to a son Cabel, who later inherited the home along with Warrington Wood at the death of Dr. Richard Wood of Amelia in 1896. Warrington was Dr. Wood's son by a second marriage. Mary J. died three years later. Her husband Henry married Sallie L. Morton 5 years later by whom she had five children. Cabel and Warrington deeded the property to Cabel's stepmother, Sallie L. Morton.

Judge Henry Wood joined the Confederate Army at the age of 17 and achieved the rank of Captain. He became a prominent attorney, studied Law and served as a Judge of Mecklenburg County from 1874-1880. The house stayed in the Wood family until the death of Kathryn Wood Turrentine in 1971.

Contributor: Dean Liken

(c) Copyright 2014. All Rights Reserved. Designed by Jason Winter || WinternetWeb.com